Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Elin's testimony

My name is Elin, and I am currently studying in England. I was brought up in Sweden, and I live in Norway.

As many of us, I was also brought up in a Christian family. I knew about the different stories in the Bible at young age, but did not understand the significance of them or of God.

When I was 12 I was asked to make a commitment to God, and I got baptised shortly after. One of the leaders asked us whether we wanted to be on God's side or our own side, and I choose to be on God's side. It was not until 2005 when I realised how my life had to be changed and how I had to start living my life differently.

In 2005, I went to a family camp and at that point I considered myself being a Christian. Although I could not see any difference in my life, and I did not have the same sense of joy like the other believers in the camp. During the camp we were asked to reflect upon our lives and what God had done, and I realised that God does things in our lives continously, all the time! And I would like to share my experience with God with you.

Last time I was in Toronto, God showed me grace in amazing ways. Two days before we were leaving Canada I got my exam results back, and they were pretty bad. I did not expect to get into a university in the UK and was very upset. It was all very confusing and it was bad-timing to be upset as I was serving in Toronto and did not want to be distracted. But God was so gracious! I was accepted to a good university although I did not meet the conditions of the offer I was given. 

Before I was going to university, I kept asking God about using me for His glory. God did so many things in many life, and I could not but to serve Him! Ever since, I've been serving amongst students, especially international students, seeing them coming to know Jesus Christ as their Saviour. I truly believe that that is the ultimate purpose of my life. To see people come to know Jesus and to see the gospel being preached. After being in England for two years I see how God has been using me to serve Him. All I had to do was to ask Him to give me an opportunity to serve Him, and to live for Him. And ultimately that means that we are ought to take up our cross every day and live for Him! 

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me". (Matt 16:24)

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. (Matt 7:7). -
according to His good will.

Being a Christian and being in a relationship with God is not always roses and rainbows. It is often as if though you are on a rollercoaster, going up and down. Sometimes bad things happen. People you are close to die, you get bad marks on your exam, the guy/girl you like don't like you. Sometimes good things happen. You get into university, you're friend is healed from a sickness, God is still God and He is in control.

If anything, I would encourage you to genuinely think about where your life is with God, and im not saying that I am in a perfect state with God, because I will never be, but that Jesus Christ died for all of you, and we need to consider the reality of His love for us.  There is nothing we can do to be worthy of His love. No works can every bring us closer to Him, it is only by His grace that we can have a relationship with God.

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain (Philippians 1:22-23)