Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Leon's testimony

My name is Leon, and I was born and raised in Oslo, Norway, and my parents are from Hong Kong.

My mom used to take me to church from when I was very young. Norway is a Christian country, so during Easter and Christmas the primary school kids have to either go to church or do something at school, usually involving eating candy, and I always chose to go to church even though it was really boring, because for me being a Christian meant I had to go to church, and I considered myself as one.

When I was twelve I participated in a Chinese Christian summer camp, and there I was for the first time in a revival meeting, where the pastor asked us if we would choose to follow Jesus, and I stood up because I thought of myself as a Christian. Later the pastor congratulated my mom about it, and she asked me if I had accepted Christ, and I was wondering what the big deal was.

There was once when I was around sixteen years old, I was at a friend's party, and started talking to this boy. At some point he asked me why one should believe in Jesus. After having been a Christian all my life, I had no idea what to say to him. I was wondering if I really were a Christian. How can I make people want to know Christ if I don't know how to share the gospel?

Around this time I also helped out as a group leader during the summer camps, without really knowing what I was doing, and also not knowing what I could possibly do, but encouraged by the youth leaders there I participated anyway. After being a group leader a couple of years, I was promoted to be head responsible for the junior camp, still not knowing what exactly I was doing.

During one of the testimony evenings at one of the camps, I hear the youth share about their experiences at the camp. There I realized how the camp had affected each of their lives. One after one they were sharing how they came to know Jesus during the camp or how their faith was reaffirmed there.

I might not be really good at talking about Jesus in a casual setting. And I might not be an expert in leading groups or organizing camps. But if God wants to use us, there are no limitations to what He can do with your life, as you give more of it to Him. I want to encourage you to try out serving at your church. Perhaps they need someone to help Sunday school. Perhaps they need someone to lead small groups. I encourage you to try, and I have faith that God will use your work to spread His kingdom.